The Sunshine walk is now just over 7 weeks away and now is the ideal time to begin your preparations. As a family and community focused event the aim really is to encourage everyone, from the very young to the young at heart, to participate.
With options for both a 5km and 20km walk, there is a distance to aim for, a distance that may challenge you, and one to suit you no matter what your current fitness level is. The 5km is specifically designed to have little ones participate too!
In terms of getting started and finding your walking feet in this cold weather we have a few suggestions to shake off those winter blankets and get moving!
- Plan to exercise with a family member, your children, or a friend. Accountability to someone else will often assist with motivation.
- Schedule it in to your week – if you are starting from scratch, make your goal realistic – start with 2 walks per week, even around the block, and build from there.
- Remember it doesn’t have to be all or nothing, all or something can work! If time is short a little, is better than not at all.
- Dress appropriately for the weather – a beanie and gloves, and several thin layers on these cold winter mornings will make you more likely to get out that door!
- Share your progress – aim to entice a friend or create a team to join you in this wonderful event!